All allotment beds have been spoken for!
Please review the by-laws, policy guide and backgrounder for more information before applying. If you are interested in becoming a garden committee member, please contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get on the Wait List: APPLICATION
Phone: 250-370-9101 ext. 4
City of Victoria Parks Department: email@example.com
1. What is the current status of the Oaklands Neighbourhood Community Garden plan?
The Oswald Park Community Garden is under construction, the membership applications are now open and we need volunteer support!
2. Who would operate the Oaklands Neighbourhood Community Garden?
The Oaklands Community Association would operate this community garden. Volunteer Coordinator Grants are available from the City of Victoria, for community gardens that are in compliance the City’s Community Garden Policy.
3. How will the shortage of parking be addressed in the design?
We have heard from local residents and park users that parking is in short supply at Oswald Park. There are several actions we are taking to limit the garden's potential impact on parking at Oswald Park. These are:
- Designate the majority of the allotment beds "car free" and include in the Policy and Procedures that gardeners do not park in residential only parking areas.
- Request that the Transportation Department investigate introducing a time limit to the Oswald Road parking lot for non-residential vehicles.
- Request the City Install a bicycle rack at the north end of Oswald Park.
- Request that the Transportation Department designate a wheelchair accessible parking space.
4. Will the Garden be fenced?
Based on the current design, the majority of the garden space will be within a City approved deer fence. There will be four unlocked gates as well as two gathering spaces outside of the garden space.
5. How will the garden affect current park use?
The community garden will not affect the off leash dog area, playground, multi-sport trail and pathways, or the hockey/basketball court. We have requested that the City investigate swapping the basketball hoop to the south end of the court. We have also requested that the City find a new location nearby or in Oswald Park for the existing volleyball posts.
6. Who could use the Oaklands Neighbourhood Community Garden?
The community garden can include both common garden areas and allotment garden areas. All community members will be welcome to use common areas. Allotment garden areas would be rented to individuals, in accordance with the City of Victoria’s User Agreement policy for Community Gardens.
7. What are the next steps and how can I get involved in the project?
Provide your feedback on the proposed community garden by calling 250-370-9101 ext. 4, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oaklands Community Centre
Reception Hours: Monday-Friday from 9:30 am - 1 pm, 2pm - 5pm
#1-2827 Belmont Avenue
Victoria, BC V8R 4B2
T: 250-370-9101 F: 250-370-9102
Oaklands Neighbourhood House
Little Acorn Hours: Monday-Friday from 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
2629 Victor Street
Victoria, BC V8R 4E3
T: 250-370-9101 F: 250-370-9159
Oaklands Community Association